Monday, February 8, 2010

Orange Turban

My name is King James and this is my dog Barder. We take adventures every day to travel the world, to escape, to dream, to fly. I wrap my orange turban around my head and mount Barder. We float above the cars and brick houses, and count how many tiny red cars we can spy with our little eyes. We watch the ant people fleeing below us, rushing somewhere, already grouchy.

It’s quiet where we go. Quiet and slow. We never get hungry here, and never have chores. I, King James, am the ruler with my best man, Barder. We land on the squishy carpet of grass, where our land has been waiting for us. We hold our banana leaf shields in front of us, with our stick swards at our sides; ready for battle. We run and shout, dodging trees bigger than elephants, running so fast our feet lift off the ground!

We run over the thick roots and uneven ground, fighting harder than ever before. It’s a battle for life, a battle for death, and a battle for the pursuit of happiness. Our swards clink when smashed together, they’re getting us Barder! We must go faster, run harder, fight with no mercy! We must fight for all of them! For the boy who’s lunch was stolen! And the girl who was pushed off the swings! And the little one who cant tie her shoelaces! We must fight for all the injustices of the world! We must!

My turban got caught under the enemy’s foot! It’s starting to unravel! Spinning me faster and faster around until all I can see is a blur of green, all I can hear is shouting as the sun begins to blind me. We begin to fall, fall, fall. Back to the ant people, back to the red cars and brick houses. We fall with the orange turban at our feet.

We go inside and I sit down to a peanut butter and jelly sandwich (with the crusts cut off of course) that mamma made. My name is King James, and this is my dog Barder, and maybe we’ll beat the injustices of this world tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Katie Cicchetto! I love this! It reminds me of being a little kid! Great imagery, so cute!

    ReplyDelete